...begins early in the year 1837, when a small group of men* of Trinity Church (now Trinity Cathedral) met together with their Rector to plan the founding of a second Episcopal Church in the City of Pittsburgh. The congregation first gathered to worship on Easter Sunday, 1837, in a school room in the West Ward and subsequently worshipped for a year and a half in the “Penn Street Concert Hall.”
The first Saint Andrew’s Church building, made of brick, was built in 1839-1840 at the present location of Fort Duquesne Boulevard and Ninth Street (about where Pittsburgh CAPA, the High School for the Creative and Performing Arts, now stands). Frequent flooding, however, caused extensive damage, and a second Saint Andrew’s Church building was constructed of stone at the same location in 1870.
Changing urban residential patterns at the turn of the 20th Century inspired leaders of Saint Andrew’s to the dramatic decision to relocate from their downtown location to the growing East End. The present Saint Andrew's Church building was designed by the prominent Pittsburgh architect Wm. James Carpenter, with the firm Carpenter & Crocker. Together, they also designed the Saint James Episcopal Church in the Homewood neighborhood (now Church of the Holy Cross) and the Trinity Cathedral Parish House on Oliver Avenue, downtown. The building was first used for worship on Easter Sunday, 1906. Settled at the corner of Hampton Street and North Euclid Avenue in the lovely Highland Park neighborhood, now a national Historic District, Saint Andrew’s is a fine example of the Gothic
Revival movement in American architecture. It offers many exterior and interior points of special interest, including a carved stone reredos and an ornate Lady Chapel—and with several collections of fine stained glass windows, including a signed L.C. Tiffany window (signed “Tiffany Studios, New York”), Christ and the Children, over the High Altar, and two majestic windows in the transepts, Nativity and Ascension, attributed to the renowned artist and illustrator Clara Miller Burd.** In 1913 an E.M. Skinner pipe organ was built for Saint Andrew’s. Restored and expanded in 1992, this organ remains one of the finest instruments in the region.
Saint Andrew’s is today a bustling congregation of over 200 households from Highland Park, our surrounding East End and suburban neighborhoods and communities—and, indeed, from all parts of the wider metropolitan area. In the rich tradition of our Anglican heritage we seek to worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness, with a deep sense of hospitality and an affectionate atmosphere of gracious good humor and mutual respect. We live together with an enthusiasm for Biblically-centered intellectual inquiry and the journey of Christian faith for all ages, for ministries of compassion and Christian witness both locally and in the wider world, for music and all the creative arts, and for the nurturing of individuals and families through traditional worship, sacrament, and relationships of care.
❈ Records show that women did not serve on St. Andrew's Vestry until 1968.
❈❈ Primary evidence has not yet been found; hence, we can only attribute the work.